- Shot list
INDONESIA: OPERATION "DJAJAWIDJAJA" OF THE NAVY.
- After the Great Leader of the Revolution, Bung Karno, rang out the People's Three-point Command, the Navy - together with other branches of the Armed Forces and the people - with all forces at its disposal was ready to give the enemy the final blow in the framework of the struggle for the liberation of West Irian.
- A fleet of 120 war and troop transport ships assembled to carry out final preparations before embarking to enemy's territory.
- The Commander of the Mandala Fleet, Sea Commodore R.Sudomo, made a last minute briefing with unit commanders attached to his Command, to examine how far the preparations had been made.The Head Quarters of the Navy dubbed the operation "Djajawidjaja", meaning Sacred Duty, which all members of the Mandala Command had to carry out.
- Operation "Djajawidjaja" was aimed at the liberation our brothers in West Irian from the clutch of Dutch imperialism.And this had to be carried out with strong determination, and full sense of responsibility no matter what sacrifice it demand, because we were determined to materialise the first frame of the destination of the Indonesian Revolution, namely a State which stretches from Sabang to Merauke.
- Units of the other branches of the Armed Forces were despatched by sea as well as by air from Sourabaya Djakarta main bases with the similar aim, namely the liberation of West Irian from the Dutch colonial shackles.
- During the journey the convoy of our fleet always made vigilance exercises in order to increase our combat ability in facing possible enemy's attacks.
- Thanks to high consciousness and good leadership the heart of every crew was inflamed by the burning spirit for dedication to the country and nation, fully convinced that Operation Djajawidjaja would be successful.
- At one of our front base in Eastern Indonesia the Commander of the Mandala fleet made a final preparedness examination before approaching enemy's territory.
- During the journey the convoy was protected by Air Force's aircraft.They consisted of long-range TU-bombers and other combat aircrafts.
- Included in the final preparations was the filling of fuel from tankers to war and transport ships.It is a very complex undertaking and used to be regarded as a yardstick to evaluate the ability of a fleet.Removal of troops from one ship to another ??? also conducted in a swift way which again showed the perfection ??? Fleet.
- Operation "Djajawidjaja" was based on the amphibious war plan.Therefore an amphibious landing exercise was among various exercises conducted in the final preparation examination.The exercise was held in an island which terrain closely resembled that of the real target, namely West Irian.
- The Fleet is now already at the gate of enemy's territory and is only waiting for the final command from the Great Leader of the Revolution.
- Hectic tension which determines war or peace, beside on the sea, on the land and in the air, also lies on conference tables.The United Nations tried hard to settle the Indonesian-Dutch dispute over West Irian peacefully.
- August 15, 1962, was an historic day, because on that day an agreement to hand over the West Irian administration to the Indonesian Government through the United Nations was signed.As stated by Foreign Minister Dr.Subandrio tension in the Indonesian-Dutch relations was not yet completely eliminated because during the dispute many victims had fallen.However, we are not pessimistic on our future relations with the Netherlands when both countries start a new leaf in history.The Foreign Minister conveyed his greeting to the Indonesian people who love peace but love freedom more.
- Thanks to the People's Three-Point Command and to our toughness on conference tables the shadow of war was replaced by an atmosphere of peace, despite the fact that the dispute had demanded many victims.Among the victims were the late Commodore Jos Sudarso, Captain Wiratno, who, together with other crews of MTB "Matjan Tutul", had fallen in the Aru sea battle.The sea battle and those who had fallen in the battle were the eternal manifestation of our endeavours to consummate out Revolution.
|Source||Source to be verified|
|Restrictions||Restrictions on certain uses may apply, and may vary from those listed.|
|Date original||December 10, 1963|
|Subset||Reuters TV - RTV Post 1957|
|No available shotlist|
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
You are about to add a clip(s) to your clipbin
By adding a clip to a clipbin, you will be able to store clips, share clipbins with colleagues, or place an enquiry/order.